On Sunday the 2nd of September 2018, Adonis Athletics Campbelltown hosted New South Wales Open sanctioned by the Australian Powerlifting Union.
We had a total of 26 lifters compete, 15 of the lifters were from Adonis Athletics across the 4 branches.
The Best Male Lifter and Female Lifter of the NSW Open were awarded to Daniel Curry and Demi Poon with 510.589 and 384.788 Wilks respectively.
Our very own Adonis Athletics Campbelltown athletes Jay Raffaut and Thomas Duong both competed in Male Open 83kg Class placing 2nd and 3rd respectively.
It was Jay’s 2nd time stepping onto the competition platform, we used this competition as a build up for APU Nationals in late October. There were a few positives to take out from the day grabbing Comp PB’s in the Squat of 210kg (10kg PB), Bench Press of 132.5kg (7.5kg PB), Deadlift of 250kg (5kg PB) and Total of 592.5kg (22.5kg PB).
Thomas has had a solid preparation and performed impressively after 9 months off the competition platform working on weaknesses and recovering from a heavy 2017 year of lifting. Thomas was able to walk away with a Squat of 220kg (7.5kg PB) and Total of 587.5kg (7.5kg PB).
Highlights of the Day:
- Dan Curry breaking ALL the NSW State Records in the Squat of 375kg, Bench of 200kg, Deadlift of 352.5kg and Total of 927.5kg and 510.589 Wilks in the Male Open Super Heavy Weights Class (120+)
- Demi Poon broke a NSW State Record in the Squat of 127.5kg and Deadlift of 125kg in the Women Open 52kg Class
- Dominic Belgrove broke NSW State Records in the Squat of 130kg, Deadlift of 140kg and Total of 332.5kg in the Male Sub-Junior 59kg Class
- Cire Jaius Mendoza broke NSW State Records in the Bench Press of 107.5kg, Deadlift of 220kg and Total of 440kg in the Male Open 59kg Class
- Emmanuel Foster breaking ALL the NSW State Records in the Squat of 182.5kg, Bench Press of 120kg, Deadlift of 217.5kg and Total of 520kg in the Male Open 66kg Class
- Victor Ramirez broke the NSW State Record in the Squat of 185kg in Male Open 74kg Class
- Gareth Smith broke the NSW State Record in the Bench Press of 172.5kg in the Male Open 105kg Class
- David Greene broke the Bench Press Only Open Record Benching 126kg increasing it by 23.5kg in the Male Open 59kg Class
- Cire Jairus Mendoze, Kelvin Nino Hidalgo, Christopher Pengson and Carl Samson traveled all the way from Melbourne
- Chloe Hughes and Jennifer Cass traveled up from the Federal Highway from Canberra
- Thank you to Rogue Australia for their continual support of our competition by supplying us with the competition barbell and plates.
- Thank you to Referees for taking the time out on Fathers Day to officiate the competition. Hope you all enjoyed your Fathers Day when you arrived home.
- Thank you to my team of volunteers who helped by spotting/loading, technical desk and retail store duties.
- Thank you Miraay Khoury and Annie Duong for all the work they put in behind the scenes leading up to the competition.